The Holy Rasul (peace and blessings be upon him) has said that there is a cure for every disease save death. He taught people how to cure themselves, in order to defeat the diseases of the heart and body. There are countless hadiths giving proof of the healing abilities of herbs, foods and spices, and these remedies came directly from his blessed (peace and blessings be upon him) lips. Here are a few that he (peace and blessings be upon him) mentioned.
1. Fenugreek – The Holy Rasul (peace and blessings be upon him) said “If people knew what there is in fenugreek, they would have paid it’s weight in gold”’
It also makes an excellent poultice for wounds. It is good to use for food poisoning, it increases the milk production in lactating women, cuts mucus like butter; and is a gargle for sore throats.
2. Honey – The Holy Rasul (peace and blessings be upon him) said “ By him in whose hand is my soul, eat honey. For there is no house in which honey is kept for which the Angels will not ask for mercy. If the person eats honey, a thousand remedies enter his stomach, and a million diseases will come out. Honey is considered the best of the foods and drugs.
3. Olive oil – Our Nabi (peace and blessings be upon him) said “Use olive oil in food, as also for anointing for this comes from a blessed tree. He (peace and blessings be upon him) also said “ Allah has put so many curative properties in olives”
4. Vinegar – Our Nabi (peace and blessings be upon him) said ”He prayed for vinegar to be blessed and mentioned that earlier messengers also used vinegar with food. He (peace and blessings be upon him) said the house in which there is vinegar is in no need for another condiment.
Vinegar mixed with rose water is an excellent remedy for toothache and headache. Raw organic apple cider vinegar helps the following illnesses and more; high blood pressure, diabetes, stiff joints such as arthritis, improves irregular bowels, It is an organic replacement for toxic heartburn medicine, it helps reduce glucose.
5. Dates – The Holy Rasul (peace and blessings be upon him) said he whose house is without dates has no food. He also said this should be eaten during childbirth.
Dates are high in potassium, magnesium, b-complex, zinc, copper, iron, chromium, Q10, vitamin C, and calcium. They are good for constipation and diarrhea, they delay aging and enhance healthy skin, hair, and muscle tone.
6. Citron – The Holy Nabi (peace and blessings be upon him) said “Citron is like a true believer, good to taste and good to smell”. Citron strengthens the heart.
7. Coriander – Our Nabi (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “Make yours the seeds of coriander, for it is a cure for all diseases except swelling (cancer), and that is a fatal disease”. Allah Ta Ala informed the Holy Rasul (peace and blessings be upon him.) “She has been given everything”. And Allah revealed that “She” was coriander. It is useful for colds; it alleviates flatulence, and relieves fevers. Coriander oil is also useful for baldness.
8. Figs – The Holy Rasul (peace and blessings be upon him) said “Figs are a fruit of Paradise”.
Figs are high in fiber, magnesium, potassium, calcium, Vitamin A, B, and C. The medical scientist, Al Shaikh al Raess, Bu Ali Ibn Sina, recommended figs to treat constipation, liver problems, urinary problems, heartburn, chest pains, piles and epilepsy. It is recommended to eat at least five figs early in the morning for four to ten months regularly, if you want to completely eliminate piles.
Love of our Nabi (peace and blessings be upon him) is the ultimate remedy. Sending Daroods is purification and reaffirmation of that love. In Aab-e -Kauthar it states; A man came to the Holy Prophet (peace be upon him) and complained to him of his poverty and economic plight. The Holy Nabi (peace be upon him) advised him to say Assalam-o-Alaikum whenever he entered his house, even if no occupant was present, then recite Darood –e-Pak as: “As Salamu Alayka Ay-u-han Nabiyyu Wa Rahmatullahe wa Barakatuhu,” and then recite Suratal Iklas once. The man obliged and Allah made him so affluent that even his neighbors received their share thereof.
Clockwise from top left: Coriander, dates, olive oil, fennel, olives, apple cider vinegar. Honey is shown in the center.